Learn how to purchase cryptocurrencies
Every marketplace on Ethereum accepts ETH and most only accepts the cryptocurrency instead of fiat. ETH is the cryptocurrency used for all transactions on the Ethereum network. Acquiring ETH will ensure that you can purchase pieces on any marketplace seamlessly.
We will provide some guidance on how to acquire ETH on Coinbase, a secure platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and store cryptocurrency, but we invite you to research the best cryptocurrency exchange for your country and fiat ramps. You can get an exhaustive list of centralized and decentralized exchanges accessible in your country directly on the Ethereum website.
- 1.Head to www.coinbase.com and click “Get Started” to set up your account and verify your identity. Then, connect a debit card or bank account so that you can get verified and purchase ETH. (Sometimes this process maybe take 1-2 business days)
- 2.Once you’ve set up an account and your debit card or bank account have been verified, you can purchase ETH on Coinbase.
- 3.Click the “Buy” button and select “Ethereum” from the drop down menu.
- 4.Once you've selected "Ethereum" enter the amount you'd like buy denominated in either crypto or your local currency. We recommend purchasing a small amount of ETH to start.
- 5.Click “Preview Buy” to preview your order. If you need to make any changes to your order, you can do so by clicking the back arrow button.
- 6.Once everything is correct, click the “Buy Now” to complete the purchase of ETH. You now own ETH! Coinbase will notify you when it’s available to send to your wallet.
Once your ETH is ready, you are able to send it from your Coinbase account to your wallet. You will need your Ethereum address in order to send it yourself. Your Ethereum wallet address—which is similar to a bank account number—will let you transfer and receive crypto from anyone, anywhere in the world. All Ethereum addresses start with the "0x" prefix.
- 1.You can find your Ethereum wallet address from the by opening up the MetaMask browser extension and clicking “Account” to copy your Ethereum address.
- 3.Enter the amount you'd like to send to your Ethereum wallet denominated in either crypto or your local currency.
- 4.Click “Continue” and paste in your Ethereum wallet address from MetaMask in the “To” field.
- 5.Click "Preview send" and double-check that you've correctly pasted in the full 42-character wallet address. If you send crypto to the wrong address you will not be able to get it back.
- 6.Finally click “Confirm” to send your ETH, it should take a few minutes to transfer.
You are now equipped to start bidding, although you’ll need a bit more information to do it properly. We’ll review some tips and tricks in the next sections.